A set of fictional stories protraying how beautiful Islam, our way of life is...

Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Love of My Life

It was a pleasant evening. Neither too hot nor too cold. I sat there with my cup of coffee sighing at the beautiful scene. The trees with their flowers danced over the play grounds and swimming pool.

My companion turned to me and smiled, "You look cheerful". "I am", I replied with a smile. "Its funny how life turns out to be. I thought life had ended when I left my country with tears, I didn't know then that I'd find a good friend right here in you".

"Yes, as we have heard so many times, when one door closes, another opens. Tell me, why were you sad?” asked my comrade.

"It's a little painful to narrate, knowing I left the man I loved since I was five. I know he is in safe hands for his wife loves him loyally. Lol did you know they still pull each others legs but at the end of the day can't do without each other." I replied with a far away look mixed with happiness and sadness.

"Wow, you never told me all these. Who is he? Who is he married to?” inquired my friend.

"He is the love of my life. He knew me since I was born. He actually saw me when I was a baby and was among the first to have held me. I remember him distinctively when I was five. I was busy playing with my toys when I glanced up and caught him staring at me. He was smiling and looking at me lovingly. I knew at that moment that he was in love with me. He patted the seat next to him and nodded me to come to him. Lol, but I just looked away and went about playing with my toys."

"That is amazing! Someone actually loved you since you're a baby! Oh please do continue, what happened next?"

"I kind of ignored him since he was around most of the times. Once he came home in the evening to play with my sister and me, only to find that we had not returned from school. My mother was a nervous wreck. Of course, it was my fault as I had cajoled my sister to come along with me to a friends place. In the mean time, he searched the whole school and finally told my mother we needed to call the police. As soon as he picked up the phone, I cried out for my mom from the gate to open the door. That was one of the many times I realized how much he loved me."

"Yes, not many are lucky to have someone who loves them so dearly and for so long", observed my companion.

"I soon turned a teenager. My room changed to a studio with film stars gracing my walls. When he would come home, he'd come to my room and get flustered over the posters. "My grandfather would not have approved of this!” he remarked with remorse. "During his times, there was no T.V. and I bet he is just jealous right now.” I snapped back. Lol, now whenever we meet or correspond he reminds me of what I had said. He remembers the tiniest comment I made."

"Ohhh, that is so sweet. He sounds so protective."

"Oh he was! He still is. He'd call any boy who comes near me even a foot "Gun Boy" and say he'd shoot him. Lol, of course all said and done in good humor but I got his message clearly. He would at no point entertain those kinds of mischief makers."

"Definitely, I too can feel exactly how he felt then", said my companion looking at me with the same kind of protective eyes.

"I am very thankful I had him. He put in me a sense of responsibility and in a lot of ways though I never showed him, I guessed I loved him too. It's funny to say I loved him and still do thinking back at my teenage years. I used to hate studies and spend my time with friends, going to the sports club. I had become quite good at badminton too. I was very social at that time. Hardly at home."

"Well those are the years when everyone does that. Friends, activities, school. They become your world"

"True. It was my recklessness in studies that made him angry. He was very hardworking. On top of that, he admired my sister. He would always point her out to me and say "Look how hardworking she is." I admire that he always said 'hard work' and never 'Lack of intelligence'. He would mention that he thought I was more intelligent but just too naughty. I guess that is why I never felt I lacked in any respect. All I needed to do is wake up and realize I had to work."

"I think I like this man more and more. He not only sounds loving but also quite intelligent. You are blessed to have such a good friend."

"Yes. I totally agree. That is why in my every prayer, I pray for him from my heart. For all the times he protected me, guided me, even when I screamed to be left alone, he still held my hand."

"Indeed. However, I see now that you've achieved so much and learning a passion for you. How did that happen?” asked my dear friend.

"I don't know. I was around thirteen and he had gone to perform the holy pilgrimage, Hajj to Mecca Shariff. My mom left me with a friend of mine who was quite a good and serious student. It was my 8th standard and he had told me that if I don't get enough marks, I might not go to High school and end up getting married. Though I know he was joking, I still didn't want to be left behind. I worked that last five months and managed to come in the top 20 in the finals."

"That's great! He must have been surprised!"

"Lol, Relieved is the word. He was happy I cleared my exam well and I got a calling letter from my high school. It was from there that I took off and starting topping each term, each year and eventually my school in the 12th National Exams. He was so proud. He would ask any girl from my school if they knew me. He thought the whole world should know me. I used to get very irritated and thought it was embarrassing, but he didn't. He devotedly, asked every girl he met from my school, "Do you know Alefyah?"."

"I can imagine his pride. I guess a few years earlier he would not have known you would have done that."

"No. I, myself, wouldn't have dreamt I would change so much. It felt good to work. It gave me an inner peace. Though it also made me feel I never work enough and I should, more and more and more. In whatever I do, he always supports me."

"Does he love you?"

"Yes. Very much. It's been twenty five years now and I guess it's the longest time ever that someone has loved me, so deeply and for so long"

"Well, don't worry, I am here and I will love you as much and make sure that I don't see the tears longing for him while I am beside you!” exclaimed my dearest aunt.

"Of course not Masi! I never feel I am away from home, doing my post graduate when you are with me. I will always miss him and long for him, but then which daughter does not for her father?” I asked.

She looked stunned for sometime and then gave a squeal of laughter. “That was quite smart little girl. Now drink up your coffee.”

We both smiled and exchanged warm glances. Chattering away, we sipped our coffee as the evening creeped in quitely

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omigod! That was really smart! He was her father, LOL, I thought it was just some guy who loved her, I never would have guessed it was her father!

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)